Type d'article

Government Information on Student Mobility - February 15, 2021


A summary of the latest government information on mobility in the case of one's studies or research. 

* This information may change according to government directives as the situation evolves. 


CDG Airport
Contenu sous forme de paragraphes

The below questions and answers on mobility are summarized from the latest government information. 

Are international students enrolled in a French higher education institution allowed to come to France?

Yes, since January 29th, the borders have been closed for those travelling to and from Europe. The website of the Ministry of the Interior, however, lists the exceptional reasons for which people are allowed to enter or leave France.

For incoming mobility from countries outside Europe, the overriding reasons are as follows:

  • Students coming to France for the second academic semester as part of a study program at a higher education institution; this includes internships as part of a higher education program. A certificate of enrollment in the higher education institution is required. 
  • Researchers coming to France at the invitation of a research laboratory / center for research activities requiring a physical presence. The invitation from the research laboratory must attest to the mandatory nature of the physical presence. Short stays (less than 90 days) are not authorized.

The following health control measures apply to persons coming from countries outside of the European area. Before boarding, travellers must present:

  • the negative result of a PCR test conducted less than 72 hours before departure;
  • a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms.

Travellers must respect a voluntary isolation period of seven days upon arrival in metropolitan France and, at the end of this period, perform a new PCR test.

Concerning the conditions of isolation, the student must make sure, before their arrival, that their accommodation, whether individual or provided by the CROUS, meets the necessary conditions. During the isolation period, the following measures should be followed :

  • Stay at home as much as possible, limiting one’s outings only for the purposes of essential needs.
  • Limit contact with people who may share the same home (otherwise systematically wear a surgical mask in the presence of a third party, including people from the family home); within the home, it is advisable to stay in a specific room, avoiding contact with the other occupants of the home, and to ventilate regularly. If possible, a specific bathroom and toilet should be preferred. Otherwise, we recommend a frequent washing of hands, avoidance of touching common objects and the disinfection of commonly touched surfaces (handles, cell phones, etc.) on a daily basis; 
  • Actively monitor your temperature and the appearance of symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, breathing difficulties, etc.). In case of symptoms, make an appointment with a doctor immediately.

All categories of students and researchers from European countries are authorized to enter metropolitan France. However, they must present the negative result of a PCR test conducted less than 72 hours before departure. They are not subject to the 7-day isolation period.

Reminder: for all travel within or to French territory, students must have the necessary certificates in French, available on the website of the Ministry of the Interior. https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation.

Can my scheduled internship take place during a confinement?

Yes, study programs are not interrupted by government orders related to the health crisis. If the host structure considers that the mission entrusted to the intern cannot be carried out remotely, the internship can be carried out at the host structure.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Student travel (study trips and internships abroad) outside the national territory is limited in the current context. Since January 29th, the borders are closed for travel outside the European area, both in and out of France. Only exceptional reasons, listed on the website of the Ministry of the Interior, allow people to enter or leave France to travel outside the European area.

As such, certain outward mobility is still possible if it meets the exceptional reasons listed below and cannot be postponed:

  • Participation in a university exchange program; mobilities for an internship or a specific training structured as part of a higher education program are considered as participation in a university exchange program.