The Office for Students with Disabilities - Relais Handicap
In cooperation with different university services and departments, our Office accompanies students with disabilities, taking into account each person's specific situation, in order to allow every student to make the best of their time spent at Rennes 2 University.
Our Office is able to welcome you with:
- a personalized, confidential and timely appointment
- needs identification and assessment processes
- information on all services available to students with disabilities
- complete accessibility on the Villejean campus (tour of the university)
International students with specific needs, especially those with disabilities, are asked to contact staff at the International Office directly for a review their particular situation and needs before going to the Office for Students with Disabilities.
After consultation with a doctor from the Student Health Centre / Service santé des étudiant·e·s (SSE), students with disabilities can benefit from the implementation of an assisted learning policy, including:
- program adaptation in coordination with professors, depending on the type of disability
- organization of learning support
- note-taking support: students can have access to a note-taking services during the academic year
- support from a French sign language (LSF) or speech specialist (LPC)
- braille document transcription
- provision of adapted software (Dragon Naturally Speaking, Viavoice, …)
- provision of adapted materials (magnifier, video magnifier, …)
We also offer assistance and special arrangements for exams, including:
- preparation and follow-up for exams
- additional time for written and oral exams
- secretarial assistance
- private room: in some cases, students may sit exams in a separate room
- Braille transcription of exam papers
- specially adapted exam paper layout
- support of a French sign language or speech specialist
Procedures: Students must submit their request to a SSE doctor, complete with all requested medical information. Students whose disability is known at the time of exam registration should forward their application form to a SSE doctor at the time of registration in order to allow for processing time and to give our office enough time to make the necessary arrangements. The doctor’s assessment, including details of special provision required, will then be forwarded to the student and to the University. The University President, taking into consideration the doctor’s advice, has the final decision regarding the arrangements allowed and will then inform the student and our Office.
Information and useful addresses
Housing, scholarships, Catering
The Regional Centre for Campus Services (CROUS) is in charge of housing, scholarships and catering. The CROUS can provide specifically adapted and equipped accommodation for students with disabilities in Rennes.
Scholarships: Students with disabilities recognized by the MDPH (Departmental Service for People with Disabilities) have access to specific scholarships, with special consideration regarding: age, parental income and resources and the field of study and domain.
Catering: There are cafeterias as well as a University restaurant on campus or close to Rennes 2.
The Conseil Général is in charge of School and University transportation (from your residence to the University). This service is designed for students who are unable to use public transport because of their disability. For more information, contact the school transportation service of your département. Within the Rennes Metropolitan area, Handistar is a specialised transportation service designed for people with disabilities who, because of a physical impairment or of sensory disabilities, cannot use public transportation.