The Rennes International Centre for the Study of French (CIREFE)
LEARN FRENCH IN RENNES, DISCOVER BRITTANY
Located in the center of Rennes 2 University’s Villejean campus, the CIREFE is the largest institution in higher education for the study of French as a Foreign Language in all of Brittany.
The CIREFE allows international students to take French classes either in conjunction with their classes in other subject matters at Rennes 2 or as a stand alone full-time subject. In addition to learning the language, students will also have the opportunity to interact with other students from all over the world and participate in a number of cultural activities around the city and in the region.
Each year, the CIREFE receives each year more than 2,000 students of nearly 80 different nationalities. The Centre also belongs to CampusFLE, an organization that brings together nearly 40 French university centres for international students, and whose quality approach it follows.
Classes are designed for non-Francophone students who wish to learn French, or those who wish to improve their French for academic purposes, as well as better understand French civilization and culture.
A word from the Director of the CIREFE (in French)
The CIREFE offers:
Evening courses: 4 hours a week (1 semester free of charge for all exchange students)
- These courses are designed for foreign students who are following a curriculum with French students and are attending CIREFE classes to complete their French language training. Six (6) ECTS credits are awarded for this course provided the exams are successfully completed and the student has not been absent more than twice during the semester.
Full-time intensive courses (for the semester/year):
- 15 to 20 daytime class hours per week (based on the student level)
- All CIREFE diplomas are semester-based. They may be obtained in Semester 1 (S1) or Semester 2 (S2).
- 30 ECTS credits are awarded for each semester.
CIREFE studies are organized according to the six levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL).
- several levels of proficiency
Summer intensive courses: Summer courses consist of three distinct programs, with different options, including:
- French language and culture - 3 weeks of courses and cultural activities (all levels)
- French as a foreign language didactics - 3 weeks of courses and cultural activities geared towards students training to become French teachers / French teachers who wish to discover France in its multicultural complexity / French teachers who have never yet resided in France (all levels)
- Summer University: Summer University is organized for international individual students or groups of students. A program before the start of the year with intensive language courses (20 hours a week) and a wide cultural program (events, trips…)
Students can choose from a diverse range of artistic workshops in French (Drama, Music, Journalism, Filmmaking, Radio Broadcasting, etc). The workshops are optional and free for CIREFE students. Participants will be invited to participate in an end of the semester show.
- Includes cultural activities and also a special program for FLE teachers.
The Centre organizes, with a small team of accompanying students/staff, a number of excursions and trips around Rennes (theatre plays, concerts, operas) and in Brittany. General information on upcoming excursions can be found in the D building (Villejean Campus) , 4th floor board (near the cafeteria). You can also follow their Facebook page.