You are here :
Contenu sous forme de paragraphes

Student Housing and Campus Dining

With over 60,000 students, Rennes is a city with a high demand for student housing. While the city is investing in creating new accommodation possibilities for it residents, incoming students should start their search as early as possible. Below are some of the basic facts you should know about housing options. 

University residences 

Correspondingly, accommodation in the Rennes 2 University residency is in high demand. As such, requests for room reservations should be made as early as possible, with your request being indicated in the university registration form.

The International Office has a quota of rooms for students in exchange programs. The principle of 'first-come, first-served' is applied. Individual requests to the CROUS residency will not be processed.

Special assistance is available for international PhD students and researchers. It is advised that they contact the International Centre for Mobility (CMI) ahead of their stay.

Contenu du texte déplié

Room sizes are ​​9m², with a multifunctional cabin (toilet, washbasin, shower), a refrigerator, a desk, a bed, a chair, a cupboard, a wardrobe, a shelf, a trashcan, and a mattress with a protective undersheet. There is one kitchen per floor equipped with two sinks, eight hotplates, two microwaves and a dining area.

Rate for 2019-2020: approximately 244 euros per month.

NB.: Each building is equipped with a TV room, a relaxation room, vending machines for drinks, a telephone booth and a coin launderette.

Rooms are reserved for a pre-defined period and changes of residence are not permitted. In the case of late arrivals or early departures, the total rent of the period will be due. For all cancellations after 31 August in the 1st semester, and 30 November in the 2nd semester, the total rent of the period will be due.


University Restaurants

A range of campus dining options are available to our students, including sit-down lunches and takeaway food or snacks between classes. The meals are varied and you can choose from various set menus. There are also brasseries, crêperies and salad bars. You can just buy a yoghurt or a dessert, for breakfast or as a snack at the Crous Resto’.  The Resto’U and all the food service outlets managed by the CROUS are accessible to all students, not just grant holders. A full meal costs only €3.30!  More information on the etudiant.gouv website : how to eat well!

Crous self-serve counter

The Crous self-serve counter on the Villejean campus.


The Izly card is a student card provided by your host university is an e-payment solution, valid in all Crous Resto’ and on all campuses. To get access to CROUS Resto’ U, open your Izly account (in French):  http://www.izly.fr/ 

Don’t forget to create your account online.



Private Housing

If you are interested in finding accommodation in private housing, the below  external private websites may help you in your search.

The CMI also can provide help and point you in the right direction when searching for private housing. 



House flat-sharing and housing offers are also available on billboards in the various university buildings.

Have you already found private housing accommodations? Before moving in to the accommodation, here are a few things to keep in mind:

When visiting an apartment

The application process for renting private apartments in France can be a complicated affair. Owners, landlords and rental agencies can ask you for a variety of information and supporting documents to be included in your rental application file, even during your first visit.  The French government has set up the following website to help you prepare for this visit. It includes: things to keep in mind, the list of documents that owners and agencies can legally ask for, information on the rental deposits and more. 


Housing subsidies

Housing assistance subsidies may be available for those meeting the requirements of the Social Housing Allowance (ALS). Before making your request, to find out if you are able to obtain an ALS, you can check your situation on the website of the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales: www.caf.fr The request for ALS can be made via the Internet: www.caf.fr (obligatorily for all CROUS housing).